Audiologist Vs. An ENT Doctor: How Are They Different?

In Hearing care by Dr. Arica Black, AuD

Dr. Arica Black, AuD
Latest posts by Dr. Arica Black, AuD (see all)

Like any body part, ears are susceptible to ailments such as infections and congestions. They can also develop more serious conditions like hearing impairment or loss. When you feel like something is wrong with your ear, it’s important to know which kind of doctor you need to consult for a proper diagnosis.

What Does an Audiologist Do?

Audiologists are health care professionals who identify, diagnose, and provide solutions to a wide range of auditory disorders such as:

  • Mixed hearing loss
  • Conductive hearing loss
  • Sensorineural hearing loss
  • Central auditory processing disorder
  • Auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder

They also evaluate and treat people experiencing issues with their balance and persistent ringing in their ears (tinnitus). Audiologists are the ones who recommend hearing aid devices. They take ear impressions which serve as molds for the ears that make for a more custom-fit hearing aid.

When Should You See an Audiologist?

You should see an audiologist if you notice a change in your hearing. For instance, if you have recent experiences where you find it difficult to hear and understand conversations.


Another reason to see an audiologist is when there’s frequent ringing, buzzing, or whooshing in your ears even though you’re in a quiet place. This is known as tinnitus and can be a sign that there may be hearing loss present.  Lastly, if you notice that you’re having difficulty with your balance, and often feel like you’re spinning, don’t hesitate to get checked by an audiologist. Make sure that you have been cleared of other conditions with similar symptoms like hypertension first.

What Does an ENT Doctor Do?

ENT stands for ear, nose, and throat. Unlike audiologists, ENT doctors aren’t only focused on seeing and treating patients who have ear or hearing problems. ENT doctors are health professionals who are trained to provide both medical and surgical care.

When Should You See an ENT doctor?

Patients who often see an ENT doctor or an otolaryngologist are those who experience earaches and ear infections. Many times, the throbbing pain in the ears is caused by an infection.


If that’s the case, ENT doctors can prescribe antibiotics, pain killers, and other medications to treat the patient after a thorough examination. But since ENT doctors don’t only specialize in ear problems, you can also visit them if you have clogged sinuses or even a sore throat.

Visit The Hearing Doctor

If you have noticed that you or one of your loved ones are finding it difficult to hear things, don’t hesitate to consult with an audiologist. Here at The Hearing Doctor, we provide quality hearing care to our patients.


Not only do we examine and diagnose people with hearing loss, but we also provide high-quality hearing aids to help them communicate better. So, if you want to learn more about what an audiologist does, please don’t hesitate to visit our clinic!